12.17.2009

A Non-Resolution, of sorts

I'm not really one for New Year's Resolutions...but I am one for setting goals. So, we're going to peg this list as a goal, NOT a resolution. Over winter break, I realized I had a long list of books in my head that I desperately want to read. The problem comes in when I further realize that I actually have no time to read, and when I do, I can't for the life of me think of one of the books on my list. For that reason, I've typed it out here, and fully intend to mark these books off my list as the year progresses. Here they are (divided categorically, of course):

Good Life Books
Commitment to Excellence by Vince Lombardi
The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin
Our Chosen Faith by John A. Buehrens and Forrest Church
Audacity of Hope by Barack Obama
Moneyball: The Art of Winning an Unfair Game by Michael Lewis

Teacher Books
Because Writing Matters: Improving Student Writing in Our Schools by the National Writing Project and Carl Nagin
The Dreamkeepers: Successful Teachers of African-American Children by Gloria Ladson-Billings
We Can't Teach What We Don't Know: White Teachers, Multiracial Schools by Gary Howard
Words, Words, Words: Teaching Vocabulary in Grades 4-12 by Janet Allen
Holler If You Hear Me by Gregory Michie
Teach Like You Hair's on Fire by Rafe Esquith
Teacher Man: A Memoir by Frank McCourt

Children's Books
Harry Potter (all of them) by J.K. Rowling
Number the Stars by Lois Lowry
Stepping on the Cracks by Mary Downing Hahn
Hatchet by Gary Paulsen
Shiloh by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor
Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli
Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli
Holes by Louis Sachar
Bud, Not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis
Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt
Frindle by L.G. Minasean
Sounder by Jeanette Sanderson
A Year Down Yonder by Richard Peck
Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech
Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D. Taylor
Tale of Desperaux by Kate DiCamillo
The Giver by Lois Lowry
Jacob Have I Loved by Katherine Paterson
Pictures of Hollis Woods by Patricia Reilly Giff
James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl


2 comments:

christine said...

You have mentioned some of my all time favorites in the children's books section.

I LOVE Harry Potter, Number the Stars, Maniac Magee, Tuck Everlasstsing, Walk Two Moons (this one gets many stars in my book), The Giver, Jacob Have I Loved...all are wonderful! The glaring exception (from my point of view) is Hatchet. I actually had to set a schedule when it was my summer reading in order to finish reading it. I couldn't stand it. I know lots of other people love it, though. Now I want to go back and re-read all of my childhood favorites! Good luck with your non-resolution!

Anonymous said...

wait, how is it that I am just now seeing this post? Are you going to read ALL those books in one year????