2.23.2010

Privilege Mentality

This summer my fabulous, loving, supportive, hilarious, beautiful, hard-working, talented little sister attended "Orlando Project" (run by Campus Outreach). From my understanding, it's a kind of super-intense Bible study that lasts all summer. Mom and I went to visit her for a weekend, and had a blast. (Hellllooooo, Mama Croft meeting Mickey!)

(If my mom ever sees this, I'll surely be dead. It's been nice knowing you, kids.)

While we were down there, sister was telling me all about a new viewpoint they learned about. The "privilege" mentality takes all of your negative thoughts/feelings and flips them upside down. No matter how horribly your day is going, you are, in fact, privileged to be here experiencing it. There's a fantastic chance that you're going to learn from that experience and become a better person for it. How lucky are you for that?!

This thought process has come in especially handy for me over the past few days when the kiddos have been absolutely off-the-wall-make-me-scream-i've-called-93-parents-since-yesterday C.R.A.Z.Y. Today, I seriously contemplated getting in my car and driving away at lunch. Seriously. Then I just called my dad and cried on the phone for approximately 20 minutes. Then I splashed my face with water, pretended I was having thebestdayever, and willed myself through the next four hours. I wish I could describe more to you, but words wouldn't do it justice.

You know what, though? This is my dream. It's what I've always wanted. And, at the end of the day, when I'm sitting in my room thinking about them.....I kind of love these kids. How many people get to live their dreams? Not many. But I'm one, and I consider myself beyond privileged for that opportunity.

2 comments:

rachel said...

your kids too huh? Hope your day today was better!

Audra said...

In the Disney picture you're kind of making the same face as the girl in the skank video below :D