5.06.2010

Gifts

Everybody has their own little way of helping out. For T. Swift, that means donating $500k through the telethon. For my minister, it means making phone calls and providing mental health services to flood victims. For police officers, it means asking each person turning into the River Plantation subdivision (which was devastated beyond belief) if they need directions to somebody's house to help out. For me, it means being "in the trenches".

I want to rip up the floor, pack the china, and lay the clothes out to dry. I just do.

Everybody has their own gift. Mine is not organizing clothing drives, baking copious batches of delicious sweets, or giving money. I want to be there, getting my hands dirty and helping to pick people up.

That's why today was so difficult for me personally. In fact, it was probably the most difficult day for me since we realized how bad the flooding was really going to be. I had to report to work, but my students weren't there. I want so desperately to see each one of them, give them a hug, and be assured that they are, in fact, okay. And I know that some of them aren't.

If I'm not able to hug and speak with them, then at least let me be out helping people I know who have lost so much.

I am infinitely grateful to have not lost any personal belongings in the flood. But let's not pretend that this means we're all okay.

Nashville will recover, and I want to be out there helping to make it happen.

No comments: